If you install the latest VirtualBox on Windows 10 (TE) after the first restart of your computer your machine won't boot and you will be stuck on a black screen.
You don't have to format your drive or repair with usb/dvd, because there is an easy fix.
- Boot your Windows into Safe Mode
- Press Win+R and run cmd.exe
- Execute this command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /F /D "Service"
- Then execute this:
net start msiserver
- Press Win+E to open explorer (if this doesn't work you can open cmd (Ctrl+R) and type
- Type Control Panel in the address bar
- Uninstall VirtualBox
- Restart your computer with the "shutdown -r" command from cmd
Your system is fine now.
If you still need to use VirtualBox you can use an older version. 4.3.12 is the highest version that works ok with Windows 10 - Build 9926.