The secret is to build a better work place...
- Quality of work - find challenging work and match them with the interests of the individual. Day-to-day work should energize the individual rather drain her. As a developer, I have many times craved for my regular work to turn interesting enough so that i don't have to work on pet projects outside work to keep up my learning and motivation.
- Healthy open culture - while it's quite hard to build one, it's quite easy to break it. To build such a culture,
- Kill favouritism
- Inculcate feedback culture - encourage instant transparent first party feedback, it will be worthwhile considering to keep the feedback mechanism well insulated from the evaluation mechanism (just to encourage openness and to kill bias)
- Empower - let your developers take decision on behalf of you within their scope, also never one should feel her idea wouldn't fly into action within the company.
- Trust and build trust
- Build a safety net to encourage learning from failure - never one should fear of failure, it kills innovation.
- Encourage healthy, open and opinionated discussions - such discussions are generally a by-product of passion
- Peer quality - get the right people together
- Work life balance
- A good pay - so that it just doesn't bother them.
Follow me @ http://sdeepan.github.io/