Instead, just set a custom origin header on your Cloudfront distribution, and point it to your application.
- No need to pay for a S3 bucket.
- No need to upload assets to S3 during deploy.
- Possibly less gem dependencies.
- Possibility to serve gzipped assets depending on the Accept-Encoding header. (Why we moved to this solution at Mynewsdesk)
- Could mean slower initial requests if loading asset from a very remote location
- Need to distribute precompiled assets to all of your application nodes, if behind a load balancer.