If you're looking to use ElasticSearch but can't be bothered with all the tricks and pression of maintaining a cluster running, there are quite a few options for a hosted installation where you can get your cluster running.
Some of them:
- qbox.io: hosted on the Rackspace cloud; they have a free plan with 1GB of data, 1 shard and no replicas, and some bigger, paid plans. Can deploy to the US or North Europe. Their support it's super friendly and quick. Your cluster will have a public URL (for AJAX calls) and a private one, and they have access control based on IPs
- SearchBox.io: all their plans are free during beta; they have a free WordPress plugin and a free plan for 3K documents
- Found.no: pay-as-you go, you can choose the cluster size as well as the number of data centers where your data will live; free trial for 14 days, their admin panel it's very neat and includes some monitoring plugins (head, bigdesk and paramedic); access control via yml config files
- Bonsai: available as a heroku addon, with a free starter plan up to 5K docs or 1MB of data
- IndexDepot: based in Germany, 30 days free of charge when you sign up