After upgrading to OS X 10.9 Mavericks I've found my system being unusually slow. It seems that all apps are running perfectly smooth with the new system, but the latest Google Chrome (Version 30.0.1599.101) is loading pages very slowly, the page scrolling is very laggy and even opening new tabs is painfully slow.
It turned out that in a few seconds after launching Chrome one of the Chrome Helper processes stopped responding. This process seems to drag the whole system down and made everything to be very slow.
This seems to be a known issue, and the Chrome dev team has already addressed it.
As an alternative I installed the latest version of Chromium - which Google Chrome gets the juice from anyway.
The latest Chromium version (32.0.1687.0 (231796)) seems to be completely stable on Mavericks, so the system is happy and fast, and I can carry on using my favourite developer and browser environment :)