Just documenting this for when I need to create an addon domain.
An addon domain is a fully functional domain that can be created from within your control panel, allowing for multiple domains all sharing the same control panel.
When creating an Addon domain, three things happen:
- A folder is created in the public_html directory
- A subdomain is created for the primary domain and attached to the new folder</li>
- The new domain name is associated with the subdomain
<b>Creating a new addon domain</b>
Login to your cPanel and click addon Domains, under Domains. There are three fields cPanel asks for when creating an addon Domain.
- <b>New Domain Name:</b> Enter the new domainname.com, but do not put http or www in the name
- <b>Username/directory/subdomain Name:</b> This is the folder cPanel creates in your public_html folder. cPanel will suggest the name for you
- <b>Password:</b> Fill in any password you want here. This password is used for an FTP account which is automatically created by cPanel