This is for Android or Java developers who use ProGuard in their apps and need to debug encrypted stack traces. You can do this with either CLI (Command Line Interface) or GUI (Graphical User Interface).
- Open <android-sdk>/tools/proguard/bin/proguardgui.bat
- Select the “ReTrace” option on the left column.
- Add your mapping file and obfuscated stack trace.
- Click “ReTrace!”
- Put your obfuscated stack trace in a text file (ex: stacktrace.txt).
- The easiest way to do the next step is to copy your mapping.txt and stacktrace.txt into <androidsdkroot>/tools/proguard/bin.
- If you are on Windows, run the following command in the same directory as the files: retrace.bat -verbose mapping.txt stacktrace.txt > out.txt
- out.txt will have the stack trace de-obfuscated.
*For Linux/Mac users, replace "retrace.bat" with "retrace.sh".
Now you can debug much easier and faster than before!
More detailed and advanced notes (and pictures): http://blog.simplyadvanced.net/android-how-to-decode-proguards-obfuscated-code-from-stack-trace/
- Danial Goodwin -
Computer Engineer | Co-Founder and Lead Developer of Simply Advanced, LLC